Sunday, 18 January 2015

Sage Noire and The Struggle That Came With It


Hi There!!!!!


As you may have noticed there's been some change on my blog. I had announced  in my previous post that I was going to change my blog address. I did. I also decided to change its name. While I liked A French Girl On The Road, I thought it was a tad too long. So, this is my first post under my new blog title, Sage Noire!

This is why I’m going to dedicate this post to the art of naming or renaming a blog, because, in my opinion finding a name for your blog does require some serious brainstorming, sometimes. 

Even thought, my blog is mostly about books, it isn’t only about that, so I didn’t want a name like “Fantasy Book Lover” (I know that’s a lame example). You see, I had very specific criteria about my new name.  I wanted it to be fashionable, no more than two syllabuses, easy to pronounce, memorable and mature. 

I did read two or three articles about how to name blogs. Sometimes, I get obssessive about things like that.

However, perhaps because I’m too dense or clueless, it took me ages to come up with Sage Noire. Don’t worry, I didn’t mull on that for a week, but it still took me 6 or 7 hours spread over two days. It’s not that I was lacking ideas, I had plenty of them: Blue moon, Diamant noir, Fallen, Faith, Ascent, Onyx, The Ascent, Blossom, Black Diamond...etc.  You name it, I had it. The problem is that the names I liked the most were all already taken. 

Yesterday, I came to realize that there were a ridiculous amount of obscure fashion brands that have websites only a select few have ever heard about.

I also thought about naming my blog after Dune by Frank Herbert because it’s my favourite book of all time, but then I remembered that there’s a well-known brand already called Dune. 

Eventually, instead of looking for edgy name, I decided to search for cool flowers name. That’s when I found Sage. I added Noire to it which means black in French and TADA! I had found my blog’s name! I'm not sure if it completely make sense, but for now I like it.



I’m very curious, how did you guys come up with your blog name? Did you find it easily?  By the way, what do you think of Sage Noire, Yay or Nay?



10 comments:

  1. AWWW YAY! Blog change and name change! I love the new header, Sarah! And the new blog name sounds fantastic, very classy indeed :D Have fun with blogging in 2015, love! <3 x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm loving the new name! It's so unusual, and definitely memorable!
    I didn't want to call my blog something obvious like 'Laura's Book Blog' or anything either, so I just thought of some of my favourite book quotes and went with 'Boats Against The Current' from the ending of The Great Gatsby. I still like it now, but I do think it's a bit too long really. I just couldn't think of anything shorter I liked as much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you! I think a blog name is too long when it has five words or more. So, "Boats Against The Current" is fine, lol! Besides, it's memorable and poetic.

      Delete
  3. Not what I expected haha but I think...interesting. <3 Hmmm, Hit or Miss Books came kind of quickly. :P I always hear others qualify books as ''hit'' or ''miss'' and I thought it would be kind of cool to be able to make lists, you know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting! I hadn't thought about it that way. Your blog title is pretty smart!

      Delete
  4. I went through several name changes before I settled on the current one. I wanted something short, catchy, and that was representative of my blog. I think I managed to accomplish all-of-the-above, and I haven't grown sick of it yet, so that's a good sign. I think you made an excellent choice with yours. Research is important, however at the end of the day, it has to make you happy too.

    Carmel @ Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting!!!!!! In total since I started blogging I changed my blog name three times. However, I hope that this time this name will stick longer. Yours is definitely catchy, and it's easy to remember. You made an excellent choice!

      Delete
  5. YAY FOR SURE! It's gorgeous and memorable and very quick to say. *nods* I think shorter blog names are bestest. So I just finished renaming my blog too. phewf. I'm jealous of you though, if you cam up with your name in a week. XD I SPENT LIKE 5 MONTHS TRYING TO FIGURE MINE OUT. *wails* I went from Notebook Sisters to Paper Fury and I'm happy with it, but, gah, headaches coming up with the perfect name, right?
    Thanks for stopping by @ Paper Fury!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you! Yeah shorter name rocks because they're easier to remember and generally catchier. LOL, five months is a long time and I thought I spent a long time. I like both names Notebook Sisters and Paper Fury.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...